One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long metal bar to which discs of varying weights are attached at each end, used for weightlifting.
- ‘Lifting a living, moving being is far more difficult than hoisting a barbell with a constant weight.’
- ‘Still, there are plenty of free weights, barbells and dumbbells.’
- ‘I started out on the shoulder press machine (three sets of about fifteen reps each, very light weight) and then went to the free weight barbells.’
- ‘Chip and Tony walked to the corner and started placing weights on the barbell.’
- ‘Load a barbell with a weight that will allow you to get 15 to 20 reps, and place it on the floor at the end of a bench.’
- ‘You could pile a bunch of weight onto a barbell and crank out eight reps.’
- ‘Squats are a great all round exercise for thighs, you can use hand weights or a barbell to work harder and they work the front and back of the leg as well as the inner and outer thigh.’
- ‘They hoist, hold and balance notes like barbells in a weight-lifting exhibition.’
- ‘The numbers can be rounded up or down if the barbells and weights don't work out precisely to these amounts.’
- ‘Bending his knees, he holds two dumbbells as though starting a barbell deadlift.’
- ‘Lift the barbell off the rack and balance the weight above your upper chest.’
- ‘I bring the weight up so close under my chin that if the barbell had an edge, I could shave with it.’
- ‘Volunteer teachers set up makeshift classes in the building's stairwell, in the hallway, and among the bench presses and barbells in a weight room.’
- ‘The exercise range in resistance training is quite broad, as there are dozens of individual exercises that can be performed with free weights (like barbells and dumbbells) as well as machines.’
- ‘And yeah, handling heavy dumbbells, barbells and weight plates will improve your general forearm and grip strength.’
- ‘You'll need a bench, a set of dumbbells, a barbell and assorted weight plates.’
- ‘Once you adjust your bench, you can choose between dumbbells or barbells as your weight of choice.’
- ‘You don't put off lifting the weight when the barbells are in your hands.’
- ‘Once you learn to perform the lunge with a solid technique you can add weight with a barbell or dumbbell.’
- ‘This applies to squats, bench presses, curls or any exercise relying on a barbell or dumbbells.’
Late 19th century: from bar + bell.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.