Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A highly seasoned sauce containing vinegar, spices, and usually chillies.
- ‘The veggies included an assortment of mushrooms, peppers, okra and eggplant, which were all seasoned with a light barbecue sauce.’
- ‘Be sure to add your own barbecue sauce at the condiment stand to give it additional flavor and moisture.’
- ‘Mayonnaise, salad dressings, ketchup, barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, sweet pickles and many other products have entered the low-carb fray.’
- ‘Pork chops in a Peking-style barbecue sauce are scrumptious.’
- ‘I recommend using condiments such as barbecue sauce, mustard, ketchup, salsa and even low-fat mayonnaise (I avoid the full-fat variety).’
- ‘Salt is already in many foods, but processed foods and condiments (such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce) have the most salt.’
- ‘Their cafeterias serve burgers with barbecue sauce, peanut butter and jelly, even lobster - all imported, not least as a precaution against poisoning.’
- ‘I liked it even without the peppery sweet barbecue sauce, but the sauce was good, too.’
- ‘Remove from the oven; add the barbecue sauce and stir in the cheese until incorporated into the sauce.’
- ‘This gave rise to variations culminating in the michelada, with a spicy base as elaborate as a secret barbecue sauce.’
- ‘All great barbecue chefs agree that barbecue sauce is a condiment to be used to dress the meat before serving, or to be served on the side.’
- ‘The barbecue sauce was a sweet, tomato-based mesquite glaze, and the greens were classic French haricots verts, salted with bits of cured bacon.’
- ‘Or add the leaves to baked beans, barbecue sauce, salad dressings, soups, and stews.’
- ‘Unless, that is, you like your barbecue sauce syrupy sweet and goosed with liquid smoke.’
- ‘Beware of mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, steak sauce, seasonings and fat-free salad dressings, which can be high in sugars or sodium, contributing to water retention.’
- ‘Return to a boil, add the semi-soft dried tomatoes with the barbecue sauce and cook for 5 minutes.’
- ‘Add the reserved barbecue sauce and toss to combine.’
- ‘Also, replace fast-food special sauces, which tend to be mayo-based, with mustard, ketchup or barbecue sauce.’
- ‘For dinner, we had grilled pork tenderloin, potato gratin and a wonderful barbecue sauce that my old friend Cissi makes.’
- ‘She put it on the biscuit she had, and surprise, surprise, it was vinegar barbecue sauce.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.