One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly seasoned sauce containing vinegar, spices, and usually chillies.
- ‘Beware of mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, steak sauce, seasonings and fat-free salad dressings, which can be high in sugars or sodium, contributing to water retention.’
- ‘Also, replace fast-food special sauces, which tend to be mayo-based, with mustard, ketchup or barbecue sauce.’
- ‘All great barbecue chefs agree that barbecue sauce is a condiment to be used to dress the meat before serving, or to be served on the side.’
- ‘The veggies included an assortment of mushrooms, peppers, okra and eggplant, which were all seasoned with a light barbecue sauce.’
- ‘Pork chops in a Peking-style barbecue sauce are scrumptious.’
- ‘Remove from the oven; add the barbecue sauce and stir in the cheese until incorporated into the sauce.’
- ‘Their cafeterias serve burgers with barbecue sauce, peanut butter and jelly, even lobster - all imported, not least as a precaution against poisoning.’
- ‘The barbecue sauce was a sweet, tomato-based mesquite glaze, and the greens were classic French haricots verts, salted with bits of cured bacon.’
- ‘For dinner, we had grilled pork tenderloin, potato gratin and a wonderful barbecue sauce that my old friend Cissi makes.’
- ‘This gave rise to variations culminating in the michelada, with a spicy base as elaborate as a secret barbecue sauce.’
- ‘Mayonnaise, salad dressings, ketchup, barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, sweet pickles and many other products have entered the low-carb fray.’
- ‘She put it on the biscuit she had, and surprise, surprise, it was vinegar barbecue sauce.’
- ‘Be sure to add your own barbecue sauce at the condiment stand to give it additional flavor and moisture.’
- ‘Salt is already in many foods, but processed foods and condiments (such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce) have the most salt.’
- ‘Add the reserved barbecue sauce and toss to combine.’
- ‘Unless, that is, you like your barbecue sauce syrupy sweet and goosed with liquid smoke.’
- ‘Or add the leaves to baked beans, barbecue sauce, salad dressings, soups, and stews.’
- ‘I liked it even without the peppery sweet barbecue sauce, but the sauce was good, too.’
- ‘I recommend using condiments such as barbecue sauce, mustard, ketchup, salsa and even low-fat mayonnaise (I avoid the full-fat variety).’
- ‘Return to a boil, add the semi-soft dried tomatoes with the barbecue sauce and cook for 5 minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.