Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characteristic of Barbados or its inhabitants:‘a senior Barbadian player’
- ‘He is currently completing a book on the Barbadian sugar boom of the 1640s.’
- ‘Born in the United States of Barbadian parentage, she must somehow bridge the gap between two identities that are often in conflict.’
- ‘Barbadian crafts include pottery, mahogany items, and jewelry.’
- ‘Barbadian women have experienced a conjunction of good job opportunities and increased educational levels.’
- ‘Barbadian Americans also maintain a number of organizations that help unite them.’
- ‘Being Barbadian myself I look at things in many different ways and choose to focus on the most positive as possible.’
- ‘I am Canadian, but I am also Barbadian.’
A native or inhabitant of Barbados:‘written literature by Barbadians received its first real debut in the 1940s and 1950s’
- ‘Barbadians have a variety of traditions that are handed down from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth.’
- ‘The 25-year-old now ranks as the second fastest Barbadian over 100m.’
- ‘The local Bajan culture encompasses a very helping attitude which speaks volumes about the goodwill of Barbadians.’
- ‘The 25-year-old star has been sharing the fruits of her success with her fellow Barbadians during a non-stop street party.’
- ‘Barbadians speak a dialect of English with tonal qualities that reflect the West African heritage of the vast majority of its population.’
- ‘Should the Barbadians overcome El Salvador, they will qualify for a September Group 2 play-off with either Peru or Mexico.’
- ‘Both Robson, an Australian, and Jordan, a Barbadian, chose to come to England to advance their cricket in their late teens.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.