One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vertical line used in a musical score to mark a division between bars.
- ‘You have the voice moving free across the bar line.’
- ‘As a result, notated bar lines may not match up to the bar lines one hears.’
- ‘That is absurd, because the bar line is a notational, not a musical, matter.’
- ‘Here, the phasing occurs solely through human means, as the music gets pushed bit by bit ‘ahead’ of the bar line.’
- ‘Stopping before a bar line inhibits the central nervous system of the student who could otherwise tend to take over and encourage rushing over bar lines into downbeats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.