One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman or girl who works in a bar, especially an attractive woman employed to encourage customers to buy drinks.
- ‘There are cases where girls were forced into prostitution or made to work as a bar girl.’
- ‘We lost our last bar girl a couple of weeks ago, and since you have no male, you'd make a wonderful replacement…’
- ‘But after falling out with Roger, she drifts on her own initiative into life as a bar girl.’
- ‘I spent three years as a bar girl servicing American sailors in the Philippines after I was rejected as editor of Vogue, two weeks after I left university.’
- ‘I tell the bar girl to fetch him the good stuff from the small casks, not the maroon vinegar we serve the churls, then sit next to him.’
- ‘In other words, I was a bar girl, there to party and work the system.’
- ‘‘We haven't got any strawberries, unfortunately,’ the bar girl replied.’
- ‘A successful bar girl can earn far more than a teacher, nurse or civil servant.’
- ‘Satake, however, has his own reasons for keeping his libido on ice despite his complicated feelings for the Shanghai bar girl Yamamoto he himself had been pursuing.’
- ‘The spectacular set and props include a real helicopter and an 18-foot statue for the Ho Chi Minh scenes as part of the story of a US soldier who falls in love with a Vietnamese bar girl.’
- ‘Hawa the bar girl, speaking of village life, told her interviewer that if she had been treated by her father like the half-sister whom he tortured, she would have poisoned him.’
- ‘Suzie Wong, the bar girl created by British writer Richard Mason, was a symbol of Hong Kong, a meeting point of Oriental and Western cultures.’
- ‘Here's the street where I saw the bar girl come whirring up on her Vespa, and her eyes got wide when she recognized me.’
- ‘She plays a bar girl whose bustiers keep getting tinier, and someone who keeps Salman able company in more ways than one.’
- ‘Anne Meyers was the favorite bar girl of the Lamb & Flag pub.’
- ‘Sahara has an episodic series called ‘Kadam’ on Fridays which did a story on a Mumbai bar girl the other night.’
- ‘Lucy, our head bar girl left tonight and everyone else went on to a club afterwards with her to say goodbye.’
- ‘Typically, a soldier would go to one of Phenix City's bars and be greeted by a friendly bar girl.’
- ‘Expect leather armchairs, log fires, ambient music and a sexier-than-thou bar girl serving anything from absinthe to whiskey.’
- ‘The Good Woman of Bangkok, his 1991 documentary about his relationship with a Thai bar girl, is almost certainly the most written about Australian documentary of recent years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.