One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A personal name given at baptism.
forename, christian name, given nameView synonyms
- ‘Guthrum's coins bore his English baptismal name, while other coins minted in East Anglia were copies of the coins of Alfred of Wessex.’
- ‘He didn't like his baptismal name, Gideon, so at the age of 14 he had it legally changed to plain George.’
- ‘We are all addressed by our baptismal names by the risen Lord and invited, like Mary Magdalene, into a relationship with God our Mother and Father, into a relationship with Christ's God and our God.’
- ‘Many others derive from baptismal names, e.g., Jakubau, Haponau, Kazimirau, or such diminutives as Jakubionak and Hapanionak.’
- ‘Parents, seizing the wrong end of the stick, at once saw Eric as the ideal baptismal name, to the ultimate dismay of its recipients.’
- ‘The next year she entered the Church of England, taking the baptismal name Rebecca, and married John Rolfe, one of her tutors.’
- ‘His baptismal name was John, but he took the name Robert when he became king.’
- ‘The former Groton resident was baptized as Lydia Madeleine, retaining her original baptismal name.’
- ‘In the presence of the household he strikes the forehead of the dead pope three times with a silver mallet, calling him by his baptismal name.’
- ‘The chamberlain, or camerlengo, then calls out to the pope three times by his baptismal name.’
- ‘Taken together, these two points amply justify the important place that the ecumenical church has accorded the baptismal name in its liturgical practice and dogmatic traditions.’
- ‘With 80 years gone since Larkin's subject (then trading under his baptismal name of Eric Blair) was at large in the area, the scent has gone somewhat cold.’
- ‘His baptismal name was James Daley - Victor was a later invention.’
- ‘The priest uses the child's baptismal name for the first time and asks God to cleanse away sin.’
- ‘Living on the fringes of Melbourne bohemia, he absorbed a love of French literature and exchanged his baptismal name, John Feltham, for the more exotic Jules François.’
- ‘His baptismal name was Eugenio - in gratitude for the help the Pope gave to Jews during the war.’
- ‘Hence, there must be some other personal proper name that backs up the baptismal name of the Trinity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.