One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounderogatory, historical
(in South Africa under apartheid) the official system of education for black South Africans.‘the protest was against the inequalities of Bantu education’
- ‘Parents, concerned for their children's education, relented, and their children and future generations were subjected for the next 40 years to the debasing and debilitating Bantu education.’
- ‘If Asmal is allowed to execute his plan he shall have achieved what Bantu education and Verwoerd failed to achieve, namely making Africans drawers of water and hewers of wood.’
- ‘For decades, blacks had access only to so-called Bantu education, which prepared them mainly for menial jobs.’
- ‘Macozoma, together with Msutu, helped organise protests during the 1976 uprising against Bantu education.’
- ‘This compartmentalisation of cultures is trying to divide and reverse the whole outcome of the struggle, reminding us of the old Bantu education which was rejected by all the oppressed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.