Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A suburb of a French city, especially Paris.
outlying district, residential area, dormitory area, dormitory town, commuter belt, conurbationView synonyms
- ‘In addition to soccer, two of the most popular sports among French youth in the banlieue are basketball and Thai boxing.’
- ‘The impact of sports in the banlieue is noticeable.’
- ‘This focus on "urban tendencies" is geared primarily toward the banlieue instead of the downtown part of the French cities.’
- ‘A majority of sports teams in French banlieues are organized and directed by associations or by branches of associations focused on the banlieue.’
- ‘During the riots in the French banlieues last year, some voices called for a Sixth Republic.’
- ‘The large numbers of youngsters in the banlieue make it an attractive area for industries of all types targeting these potential customers.’
- ‘"The youth of Guadeloupe is the youth of the banlieue," he said.’
- ‘Outside the window of my train stands the voiceless France of the banlieue.’
- ‘This first album of French rap sold well and served as an introduction to many French youngsters outside the banlieue.’
- ‘Over beers in the city's banlieues, the young street dancers explained that the smooth marble flooring of the peristyle surrounding the opera house was perfect for breakdancing.’
- 1.1 An outlying housing development in a French city:‘the youth culture of the banlieues is rooted in poverty’
French, from ban jurisdiction + lieue league: a banlieue was originally an area of one league (an old measure of distance amounting to about three miles) in every direction outside a town or city's walls, which was under the jurisdiction of that town or city.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.