One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the banking industry seen as profiteering or dishonest.‘nothing ever seems to happen to any of the banksters who caused all the problems in the first place’
- ‘For a second I thought the banksters would have to SUFFER for the damage they caused blowing a hole in the global economy.’
- ‘But Europe and indeed the entire globe faces a much more dangerous and immediate threat from Wall Street's banksters.’
- ‘Everyone on both sides of American politics from Obama downwards joined in the storm of outrage, which was followed by predictable bleating from the banksters.’
- ‘Whether through stoking fear of their failure or outright intimidation of the policymakers or something in between, the banksters own the country.’
- ‘The US treasury, given Congressional blessing, simply gave the banksters hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars with no questions asked.’
- ‘We've had something similar because of devaluation but the banksters have been protected.’
- ‘This is madness and it was clear at the time that bailing the banksters out was wrong.’
- ‘Banksters are indignant that they actually have to be accountable to anyone.’
- ‘There was a House hearing with CEOs of the top banks today, where the banksters took a mostly conciliatory tone.’
- ‘Throughout the interview he can barely contain his outrage about how unfair it all is that he and his fellow banksters are being criticized.’
- ‘Among the millions of dollars in political lobbying, the banksters are stopping progress on consumer bills.’
- ‘The White House appears to have gone over to the supply side with its proposed tax on big banks, as it scores populist points against the banksters, too.’
- ‘What is pretty clear is that a lot of this money is going to the banksters in backdoor bailouts that do nothing for the greater economy.’
- ‘In paying banksters for losing money and relaxing accounting standards (so they can claim false profits while losing money), they are only encouraged to commit more fraud.’
- ‘We know that the Obama administration will not go after the banksters that created this global financial calamity.’
Late 19th century (as non-derogatory nickname): blend of banker and gangster.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.