One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A printed record of the balance in a bank account and the amounts that have been paid into it and withdrawn from it, issued periodically to the holder of the account.
- ‘We sent a joint bank statement and a utility bill as proof of identity.’
- ‘The grieving family only discovered that money was missing from the account when Mrs Smith examined a monthly bank statement last month.’
- ‘GnuCash can also assist you in reconciling your records against your bank statement.’
- ‘When questioned about a bank statement boasting a £2.5 million transfer to Cyprus, he maintained he had never seen it before.’
- ‘Now for the first time in years I don't have to worry about the bank statement, and it will be a while before I think of even taking out a mortgage again.’
- ‘In respect of the Royal Bank account, Mr. Mpamugo produced the bank statement for the month from June 7, 1999 to July 7, 1999.’
- ‘Will they ask to see a bank statement or other evidence of my finances?’
- ‘You can check it online regularly if you want to be extra vigilant, but you should always review your monthly bank statement and raise questions immediately about any unauthorised debit.’
- ‘Mrs Smith, 35, a teacher at Haydonleigh Primary School, discovered that money was missing from the account when she examined a monthly bank statement last week.’
- ‘And each year they must furnish a bank statement specifying account transactions.’
- ‘This cannot be done by adding such a clause at the foot of the bank statement, as this document does not evidence the terms of the contract between the parties.’
- ‘Some Thai embassies abroad actually want to see a bank statement in baht to issue a visa in the first place.’
- ‘I only know how to read the balance on the bank statement and don't have any rich relatives.’
- ‘I've decided to postpone my holiday for a while, for several reasons, the principal one being that I got my bank statement on Saturday and also checked my credit card balance.’
- ‘It was three days later when Mr Cole checked his bank statement that he discovered money totalling £510 was withdrawn from cashpoints in Boreham, Edgware, Henley and Watford.’
- ‘However, you should monitor your bank statement and if a similar amount is taken from it, contact your local force as soon as possible.’
- ‘A 1991 bank statement shows a balance of £20,133.27 offshore.’
- ‘When the balance window is displayed, enter the beginning and ending balances from your bank statement and start clearing transactions.’
- ‘It was a relaxed affair; I handed over my passport and a bank statement.’
- ‘A bank statement issued here said that banks have disbursed an aggregate loan of Rs 3,904 crores to these SHGs which has availed over 16 million poor families.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.