One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cheque drawn by a bank on its own funds.
- ‘In January the Chernobyl Children's Charity 10K, received a late Christmas present in the form of a bumper bank draft for 22,000 from the ITC Students Union.’
- ‘Ms Breda Fleming, defending solicitor, said Thomas Donoghue was ordered to collect £1,500 for Friday's sitting and she had a bank draft for that amount in court.’
- ‘We made a nice profit, and I've got a bank draft that should more than offset our expenses.’
- ‘There are rackets now active in Bangladesh to steal those letters from post office, which contain bank draft / cheques and encash it in Hong Kong or another point falsifying identity.’
- ‘He gave the PCEC a copy of a bank draft to prove it.’
- ‘Adam relaxed back in his chair and put the bank draft in his pocket.’
- ‘When I received a confirmation of my order I posted them a bank draft.’
- ‘When you're handing over a bank draft for a second-hand car that costs about four times as much as the average new car you have every right to be fussy.’
- ‘According to Barry, the money was paid by way of a bank draft to FF.’
- ‘The company has only agreed to cover entitlements by taking out a bank draft, rather than by the more reliable method of placing funds directly into a trust fund.’
- ‘On Wednesday the Cook Islands fund to assist Niue stood at about $105,000, which Dr Woonton said will be given directly to the Niuean government in the form of a bank draft.’
- ‘Garda sources said a recurring feature of cheque and bank draft scams by professional criminals is that a naive company insider is persuaded to take most of the risk.’
- ‘The bank draft is, of course, no evidence that the funds emanated from Singh.’
- ‘At present, payments over Rs 10,000 can be made only by crossed cheque or bank draft.’
- ‘Bloodgood's sidekick, Badger, escapes with the bank draft to California and returns twenty years later to blackmail his former boss.’
- ‘George Georgiou contributed $10,000, by way of a bank draft from his mother, and $5,000 of his own funds.’
- ‘Sending a bank draft is obviously cheaper than wiring the money.’
- ‘One charge, dated July 13, 1992, related to a bank draft for £9,250 in the name of Marcella Irwin, who had given it to him to invest for her.’
- ‘However, she walked into City Hall at lunchtime yesterday and handed over a bank draft for €5,000.’
- ‘I also took advantage of the automatic bank draft, which made me eligible for an immediate interest-rate decrease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.