Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cheque drawn by a bank on its own funds.
- ‘He gave the PCEC a copy of a bank draft to prove it.’
- ‘When I received a confirmation of my order I posted them a bank draft.’
- ‘Ms Breda Fleming, defending solicitor, said Thomas Donoghue was ordered to collect £1,500 for Friday's sitting and she had a bank draft for that amount in court.’
- ‘We made a nice profit, and I've got a bank draft that should more than offset our expenses.’
- ‘According to Barry, the money was paid by way of a bank draft to FF.’
- ‘The bank draft is, of course, no evidence that the funds emanated from Singh.’
- ‘Garda sources said a recurring feature of cheque and bank draft scams by professional criminals is that a naive company insider is persuaded to take most of the risk.’
- ‘There are rackets now active in Bangladesh to steal those letters from post office, which contain bank draft / cheques and encash it in Hong Kong or another point falsifying identity.’
- ‘On Wednesday the Cook Islands fund to assist Niue stood at about $105,000, which Dr Woonton said will be given directly to the Niuean government in the form of a bank draft.’
- ‘In January the Chernobyl Children's Charity 10K, received a late Christmas present in the form of a bumper bank draft for 22,000 from the ITC Students Union.’
- ‘George Georgiou contributed $10,000, by way of a bank draft from his mother, and $5,000 of his own funds.’
- ‘However, she walked into City Hall at lunchtime yesterday and handed over a bank draft for €5,000.’
- ‘Adam relaxed back in his chair and put the bank draft in his pocket.’
- ‘The company has only agreed to cover entitlements by taking out a bank draft, rather than by the more reliable method of placing funds directly into a trust fund.’
- ‘Sending a bank draft is obviously cheaper than wiring the money.’
- ‘One charge, dated July 13, 1992, related to a bank draft for £9,250 in the name of Marcella Irwin, who had given it to him to invest for her.’
- ‘I also took advantage of the automatic bank draft, which made me eligible for an immediate interest-rate decrease.’
- ‘At present, payments over Rs 10,000 can be made only by crossed cheque or bank draft.’
- ‘Bloodgood's sidekick, Badger, escapes with the bank draft to California and returns twenty years later to blackmail his former boss.’
- ‘When you're handing over a bank draft for a second-hand car that costs about four times as much as the average new car you have every right to be fussy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.