Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A barn built on a slope.
- ‘The general form of the bank barn remained the same whether it was built into a hillside or not.’
- ‘This is especially easy to do with what are probably the two most common barn styles in Vermont: the bank barn and the gambrel-roof barn.’
- ‘They are called bank barns because one side of the barn is built into the bank of a hill, allowing wagons to be driven into the upper floor of the barn.’
- ‘The Mill House became the Mansion Hotel, while the bank barn was known as the hotel stables.’
- ‘It has a 56 foot diameter and is of bank barn design with a lower story of stone and a second, wood framed loft, reached by a ramp embankment built into its north side.’
- ‘We have a large ‘Pennsylvania Dutch’ bank barn in the center of our farm complex.’
- ‘Aullwood's barn is built in the bank barn style used here by German heritage farmers in the 1800's.’
- ‘The restoration of timber frame bank barns is especially satisfying as we at Dutch Masters also appreciate the benefits in preserving these edifices to yesterday's genius.’
- ‘To the rear of the property is a bank barn with stone stabling below, and a barnyard enclosed by a stone wall.’
- ‘The granary is normally constructed above the overshoot of a bank barn to keep it high and dry.’
- ‘Many Pennsylvania bank barns had narrow slits, called loophole windows, for ventilation.’
- ‘Old fashioned bank barns are to be found all over this part of Ontario.’
- ‘Round barns are basically bank barns with an innovative twist: stables that encircle a central silo to save labor in feeding and milking cows.’
- ‘The Historical Society's goal was to relocate an existing bank barn or to replicate a bank barn typical of Valley barn architecture in the mid-1800s.’
- ‘An 1889 Pennsylvania bank barn serves as the main frame for Andy Gieger's home in the making.’
- ‘Sid and Joey are proud of the family history the farms portray, from the stately Westleigh bank barn to the handmade gate hinges and latches made from iron by a 1930s farmhand.’
- ‘Construction of these large bank barns peaked in Scarborough in the first decade of the twentieth century.’
- ‘Old bank barns are best suited for low density uses such as a few young calves, and maternity and treatment pens.’
- ‘The Gheens Barn is an example of a bank barn and provides a unique historical character to the property, said Cappiello.’
- ‘There is a 129 foot long stone bank barn on the plantation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.