One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A barn built on a slope.
- ‘Old bank barns are best suited for low density uses such as a few young calves, and maternity and treatment pens.’
- ‘Sid and Joey are proud of the family history the farms portray, from the stately Westleigh bank barn to the handmade gate hinges and latches made from iron by a 1930s farmhand.’
- ‘Construction of these large bank barns peaked in Scarborough in the first decade of the twentieth century.’
- ‘They are called bank barns because one side of the barn is built into the bank of a hill, allowing wagons to be driven into the upper floor of the barn.’
- ‘The Mill House became the Mansion Hotel, while the bank barn was known as the hotel stables.’
- ‘This is especially easy to do with what are probably the two most common barn styles in Vermont: the bank barn and the gambrel-roof barn.’
- ‘An 1889 Pennsylvania bank barn serves as the main frame for Andy Gieger's home in the making.’
- ‘We have a large ‘Pennsylvania Dutch’ bank barn in the center of our farm complex.’
- ‘Old fashioned bank barns are to be found all over this part of Ontario.’
- ‘The general form of the bank barn remained the same whether it was built into a hillside or not.’
- ‘Aullwood's barn is built in the bank barn style used here by German heritage farmers in the 1800's.’
- ‘There is a 129 foot long stone bank barn on the plantation.’
- ‘The Historical Society's goal was to relocate an existing bank barn or to replicate a bank barn typical of Valley barn architecture in the mid-1800s.’
- ‘The Gheens Barn is an example of a bank barn and provides a unique historical character to the property, said Cappiello.’
- ‘Many Pennsylvania bank barns had narrow slits, called loophole windows, for ventilation.’
- ‘To the rear of the property is a bank barn with stone stabling below, and a barnyard enclosed by a stone wall.’
- ‘The restoration of timber frame bank barns is especially satisfying as we at Dutch Masters also appreciate the benefits in preserving these edifices to yesterday's genius.’
- ‘The granary is normally constructed above the overshoot of a bank barn to keep it high and dry.’
- ‘It has a 56 foot diameter and is of bank barn design with a lower story of stone and a second, wood framed loft, reached by a ramp embankment built into its north side.’
- ‘Round barns are basically bank barns with an innovative twist: stables that encircle a central silo to save labor in feeding and milking cows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.