Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Exactly right:‘the programme is bang on about the fashion world’
correct, precise, exact, right, errorless, error-free, without error, faultless, perfect, valid, specific, detailed, minute, explicit, clear-cut, word for word, unambiguous, meticulous, authoritative, reliable, canonicalView synonyms
- ‘When both coaches get their schemes bang on, then you look to an individual to come up with a piece of magic that nobody can plan against.’
- ‘It is quite a forgiving rod that lets you off when your timing isn't bang on.’
- ‘While some fans were distracted as police and stewards quickly dealt with it, City showed their concentration level was bang on.’
- ‘With no fresh injury problems to report, Bolton should be bang on for victory at the weekend.’
- ‘He was bang on, too, in his observations about the entrepreneurial nature of Maori.’
- ‘But the whole foxhunting/inner city poverty thing is pretty much bang on.’
- ‘Having grown up in the '70s, I can cite a couple of films that capture the period bang on.’
- ‘We did read the URL that you supplied, and intuitively we knew that it was true and bang on when we read it.’
- ‘It looks beautiful; what Roth says about attention to detail is bang on.’
- ‘Once again the budget carrier's marketing department had got it bang on.’
- ‘We even got to point at David Blaine and laugh, so it was bang on, really.’
- ‘The mixture is fairly gelatinous in texture, but the calibration of sweet and sour elements is bang on.’
- ‘On some nights, it'll just be bang on, and all these people will come out.’
- ‘The vocals were bang on, and the beat had people dancing to the bizarre electro-melody.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.