One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A range of frequencies within a given band, in particular that used for transmitting a signal.
- ‘Monetarists believe that money supply should be kept within an acceptable bandwidth so that levels of inflation can be controlled.’
- ‘Once the installation vibrations have been mitigated, low-cost gyros need to have bandwidths in the range of 50-70 Hz for adequate processing of high-frequency components of flight angular motion.’
- ‘The spectra show a large variation in spectral features like the number of bands, bandwidths, and their polarization behavior.’
- ‘The large bandwidths of the bands reflected the short lifetime of these states due to fast exciton relaxation.’
- ‘Since kinetic energy increases with increasing frequency, the bandwidth of the low-frequency regime is limited.’
- 1.1 The transmission capacity of a computer network or other telecommunication system.‘posting separately wastes bandwidth and disk space’
- ‘As the sheer amount of bandwidth running across public networks increases, so do power requirements.’
- ‘In a period of two weeks we measured the bandwidth of 54,845 peers downloading over a hundred newly injected files.’
- ‘It is also the amount of cache memory rather than the memory bandwidth that determines the speed of the system in popular games.’
- ‘That means that during the past few days we had to temporarily turn your site off to keep the bandwidth within this limit.’
- ‘Traffic is sampled in five-minute intervals, and the average bandwidth for the five minutes is calculated.’
2The energy or mental capacity required to deal with a situation.‘he lives alone, and says he doesn't have the bandwidth to handle a steady relationship’
- ‘You will have time and mental bandwidth to form your thoughts better.’
- ‘With a little more mental bandwidth this summer, I started re-viewing the earliest footage we shot for my grandfather's documentary.’
- ‘I'm being careful about who I'm handing my résumé to. I don't have the bandwidth to meet with everyone.’
- ‘Clients who want to know whether the firm has the time or the ability to handle a project ask if we have the bandwidth'.’
- ‘I guess for the most part of this year I felt like I don't have a lot of bandwidth to deal with all of that.’
- ‘Driving a car eats up a lot more mental bandwidth than sitting on a plane.’
- ‘You really don't use all the mental bandwidth you have when you're playing these games.’
- ‘The job of the modern presidency is so complex, so taxing, so intense that one's disposition even more than one's mental bandwidth may be the key to handling the job.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.