One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bandstand in the form of a large concave shell with special acoustic properties.
- ‘Visible outdoors is the Frank Gehry-designed bandshell in Chicago's Millennium Park.’
- ‘The artist likens it to an amphitheater, a setting more open and less acoustically projective than a typical bandshell, but one that has long accommodated musical and dramatic performances.’
- ‘The show is at an outdoor bandshell located outside of town in a park with a fake farm; it looks like a toy blown up to life-size.’
- ‘One other ‘star’ of the evening was the new bandshell covering the stage of the Hollywood Bowl.’
- ‘Fast-forward to the present, to a site in downtown Miami along the edge of Biscayne Bay, where a building - a bandshell - designed by Stella in 1999, is being constructed.’
- ‘At the beginning of the film, Ry stands in for an injured ballerina for a performance at Grant Park's new bandshell; during her performance, a violent storm erupts.’
- ‘The bandshell itself, commissioned by Miami-Dade Art in Public Places, is slated for completion in early September.’
- ‘A band was performing Motown songs in a bandshell and hundreds of people were camped out on their folding chairs and beach towels in front of the stage.’
- ‘The first picture is of the bandshell, which was designed by Frank Gehry.’
- ‘This picture of the bandshell is typical of the sort of modern architecture that bores me dead.’
- ‘From these last two works it is only a short step to the composition of the bandshell now going up in downtown Miami.’
- ‘The show was outdoors, and the ‘stage’ was a tiny little old-fashioned bandshell / gazebo that everybody just kind of stood back from to listen to the various bands.’
- ‘A Greek Orthodox Archbishop spreads incense during a special celebration at New York's Central Park bandshell.’
- ‘With Frank Gehry's bandshell adding sparkle and flutter to the city's lakeside skyline, Millennium Park opened in July as a downtown magnet for outdoor public relaxation.’
- ‘As I mentioned when I was there a month ago, there's a new, very expensive and visually-impressive bandshell adorning the Hollywood Bowl.’
- ‘Weather permitting, you can check out architect Frank Gehry's dynamic bandshell at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.