Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bandstand in the form of a large concave shell with special acoustic properties.
- ‘Fast-forward to the present, to a site in downtown Miami along the edge of Biscayne Bay, where a building - a bandshell - designed by Stella in 1999, is being constructed.’
- ‘Visible outdoors is the Frank Gehry-designed bandshell in Chicago's Millennium Park.’
- ‘From these last two works it is only a short step to the composition of the bandshell now going up in downtown Miami.’
- ‘This picture of the bandshell is typical of the sort of modern architecture that bores me dead.’
- ‘A Greek Orthodox Archbishop spreads incense during a special celebration at New York's Central Park bandshell.’
- ‘The show is at an outdoor bandshell located outside of town in a park with a fake farm; it looks like a toy blown up to life-size.’
- ‘The artist likens it to an amphitheater, a setting more open and less acoustically projective than a typical bandshell, but one that has long accommodated musical and dramatic performances.’
- ‘Weather permitting, you can check out architect Frank Gehry's dynamic bandshell at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.’
- ‘The show was outdoors, and the ‘stage’ was a tiny little old-fashioned bandshell / gazebo that everybody just kind of stood back from to listen to the various bands.’
- ‘One other ‘star’ of the evening was the new bandshell covering the stage of the Hollywood Bowl.’
- ‘A band was performing Motown songs in a bandshell and hundreds of people were camped out on their folding chairs and beach towels in front of the stage.’
- ‘As I mentioned when I was there a month ago, there's a new, very expensive and visually-impressive bandshell adorning the Hollywood Bowl.’
- ‘With Frank Gehry's bandshell adding sparkle and flutter to the city's lakeside skyline, Millennium Park opened in July as a downtown magnet for outdoor public relaxation.’
- ‘At the beginning of the film, Ry stands in for an injured ballerina for a performance at Grant Park's new bandshell; during her performance, a violent storm erupts.’
- ‘The first picture is of the bandshell, which was designed by Frank Gehry.’
- ‘The bandshell itself, commissioned by Miami-Dade Art in Public Places, is slated for completion in early September.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.