One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican bandit, especially as represented in films and popular culture.
- ‘Tejon takes on a lot of different gun-toting opponents on his road to revenge, from soldiers to urban thugs to desert banditos.’
- ‘We had known it would be outside the town proper because Ben had come from a well-to-do family until banditos murdered his parents.’
- ‘The Portuguese called the guerrillas turras or banditos, while the MPLA guerrillas denoted the Portuguese with the shortened word tugas.’
- ‘All of these men, along with gunfighters, banditos, soldiers, Indians, lawmen, saloon girls, even ladies dressed in the height of fashion, gathered for one purpose.’
- ‘Yet Cohan admits he writes from a position of ‘utter privilege’ and it's something to see a side of Mexico that isn't all shantytowns and bandidos.’
- ‘He looked like a bandito from a spaghetti western.’
- ‘Miss Pouty Lips rescues the love of her life - renegade doctor Nick - from bandidos (wild-eyed, crooked-toothed, of course) in war-torn Chechnya, only to step on a mine while running for help.’
- ‘‘In prison they treated me like a bandito,’ he says.’
- ‘He falls in with the treacherous, feral Tuco, a bandito with a price on his head.’
- ‘When they've finally drained the mountain of gold, the three men must survive the descent, the banditos and each other to turn their gold into untold wealth.’
- ‘‘Say,’ said a wise old head at one of our town meetings, ‘my nephew Looie would go after that bandito for 30 goats and a year's worth of free haircuts.’’
- ‘Kid Rio and Dad Longworth are banditos in Mexico in the 1880s.’
- ‘From south of the Border I saw several Mexican bandidos arriving.’
- ‘I don't know why, but he'd slung a thick leather belt across each shoulder and resembled nothing so much as a young bandito marching home from a successful raid.’
- ‘The grungy banditos had to escape Blythe, but they were afraid of getting pulled over on the way out of town.’
- ‘The first thing to strike you about their debut album is the picture on the front cover of the band portrayed as cartoon banditos.’
- ‘Less than a month on the road, on a hot day in late February, the grungy banditos nervously approached the inspection station at the Arizona border.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.