One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A general strike.‘the impact of the bandh would be fatal to the cloth trade’
- ‘And I have not even counted days lost due to strikes, hartals, bandhs, lockouts and the like.’
- ‘The media at that time completely ignored the stupidity of protest marches and bandhs in India.’
- ‘This was a nation-wide bandh called by the left-oriented trade unions to protest against the government's ongoing labour reforms process and privatisation of state-owned undertakings.’
- ‘The frequent hike in prices of petroleum products leads to strikes and bandhs, paralysing normal life and the general economy.’
- ‘Let all hartals, bandhs, protest meetings culminate there.’
- ‘The extremist cliques responded to such conciliatory measures by Mehta with more protests and a threatened bandh (strike and general closure) in Varanasi on February 8.’
- ‘Within Kathmandu and in other towns in the valleys general strikes, or bandhs, took place on a regular basis after 2001.’
- ‘A one-day general strike or bandh that paralysed the Indian commercial and industrial city of Bombay on April 25 raises important political issues for the working class.’
- ‘The High Court was not impressed by the argument of the political parties that they had the fundamental right to record their protest by organising bandhs on any issue.’
- ‘The killing led to protest, unrest and a bandh in the Kashmir valley.’
- ‘The left trade unions-sponsored general strike that turned into a bandh on Wednesday has helped the people realise just how efficient the administration is in meeting such situations.’
- ‘In protest the Catholic Church of Tripura called a bandh in all Catholic run institutions on August 10, 2000.’
- ‘The bulk of the protests were collective: strikes, bandhs, processions, boycotts and dharnas.’
- ‘Many other parts of the country were affected too because there seemed to be general agreement between most political parties that a bandh was required.’
- ‘Invariably buses are targeted by those holding bandhs and protest rallies.’
- ‘Business establishments including the women market vendors observed a spontaneous bandh in protest against the killings.’
- ‘Of course, this is followed by walkouts from the Assembly, dharnas, gheraos, bandhs and other forms of agitation.’
- ‘However, we had to postpone that, since Thursday was the day of the bandh (general strike) called by the VHP-SS.’
- ‘A father who switched on the early morning news to keep tabs on lightning strikes and bandhs and heated the water for my early morning bath.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit bandh ‘to stop’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.