One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A narrow band worn round the head to hold the hair in position.
- ‘The leading feature is a couple of girls of the period, the foremost garbed in a blazing red jumper over a white dress and wearing a white bandeau across her vermilion hair.’
- ‘I don't want to sound like a character in ‘Ab Fab’ who wants to give it all up and bang tambourines with a bandeau, but that's pretty much how I feel at the moment.’
- ‘The headbands range from soft bandeau bands to U shaped glitter and faux silk bands.’
- ‘Not only did Ms. Lenglen shock the world by being the first to wear a short skirt, she ditched the traditional tennis hat for a sleek bandeau that allowed her to see what she was doing on the court.’
2usually as modifier A woman's strapless top formed from a band of fabric fitting around the bust.‘a bandeau bikini top’
- ‘Also, could you also look for tank tops with built-in bandeau bras?’
- ‘Sexy bandeau bikinis, some featuring gorgeous Liberty-esque prints, will give the season a Seventies edge while the bottoms, cut low on the hip, are more forgiving than ever.’
- ‘The nylon / Lycra bandeau tankini ($92; at Macy's West stores) adds shape on the top with a built-in bra, while the low-rise bottom lengthens your torso.’
- ‘Traditionally, the salwar has been teamed with kurtas of various lengths (knee length being the length of this season) but the bold young brigade has teamed it up with bustiers and bandeau tops now.’
- ‘But the must-have item is the rugby-stripe bandeau bikini with grommets and ties (available in navy, chocolate, or black with white contrast).’
- ‘Even bikinis are more conservative then ever: cut low on the hip below classic, bandeau tops.’
- ‘She wore a white bandeau top and a hip-hugging skirt that was long and trailed.’
- ‘She had been looking for a bandeau top for ages but they were all too expensive.’
- ‘The funky little straps come in prints or bright, sheer colors in stretch vinyl, glitter and other fabrics and attach to an underwire, bandeau or camisole bra.’
- ‘A large selection of push-ups, underwired bras, triangle styles and bandeaux varieties offer something for all tastes.’
- ‘Radiant Ashley Olsen lounged calmly on a couch, Foxy Brown spilled out of her bandeau top, SNL's Kenan Thompson took up a banquette, and Naomi Campbell drifted across the dance floor.’
- ‘She exits the truck and rips off her fur - save for the cuffs - to reveal a black bandeau top and bikini bottoms adorned with dice and the phrase ‘High Roller.’’
- ‘Anything unshaped, such as a bandeau top, will flatten and hide them.’
- ‘This person, whose gender I was unable to determine, wore a black leather bandeau and shiny red plastic G-string.’
- ‘Don't be surprised if a catwalk show of models - clad in G-strings and bandeau tops - wafts past your table as you finish your starter.’
- ‘‘Serves you right for wearing that,’ Minerva said pointing to Roxie's black bandeau accompanied by hipster jeans.’
- ‘The black bandeau halter is très chic and the white printed one-piece suit is elegant yet sexy.’
- ‘This printed tie-back bandeau pairs perfectly with the easyrider pant.’
Early 18th century: from French, from Old French bandel, diminutive of bande (see band).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.