One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Canada) the elected government of a First Nations band, consisting of a chief and councillors.‘the Prime Minister promised to give band councils more power’
- ‘The Bear River Band Council also wanted to fish out of a few very small boats less than fifteen feet in length.’
- ‘Cree band councils can pass a wide range of by-laws enforceable on these lands.’
- ‘The choice of which entity gets money for those services - be it Band Council or Native Friendship Centre - becomes a potentially divisive issue.’
- ‘The bid's board of directors includes representatives from the Mount Currie Band Council, Musqueam Nation, Squamish Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation, whose territories will host the games.’
- ‘Off-reserve Natives will soon have the right to vote in Band Council elections, even if they haven't been back to the reserve in years.’
- ‘They are band councils that apply the Indian Act locally.’
- ‘The federal government is giving away part of its taxation authority to two British Columbia band councils.’
- ‘Jurisdictional issues between the federal, provincial and band council governments make accountability and following proper standards difficult.’
- ‘Like many traditionally minded First Nation people, he sees band councils as branches of the federal government.’
- ‘Band councils need to support their own people by hiring more Aboriginal lawyers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.