One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Canada) the elected government of a First Nations band, consisting of a chief and councillors.‘the Prime Minister promised to give band councils more power’
- ‘Jurisdictional issues between the federal, provincial and band council governments make accountability and following proper standards difficult.’
- ‘Like many traditionally minded First Nation people, he sees band councils as branches of the federal government.’
- ‘The Bear River Band Council also wanted to fish out of a few very small boats less than fifteen feet in length.’
- ‘Off-reserve Natives will soon have the right to vote in Band Council elections, even if they haven't been back to the reserve in years.’
- ‘The bid's board of directors includes representatives from the Mount Currie Band Council, Musqueam Nation, Squamish Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation, whose territories will host the games.’
- ‘They are band councils that apply the Indian Act locally.’
- ‘The choice of which entity gets money for those services - be it Band Council or Native Friendship Centre - becomes a potentially divisive issue.’
- ‘Band councils need to support their own people by hiring more Aboriginal lawyers.’
- ‘Cree band councils can pass a wide range of by-laws enforceable on these lands.’
- ‘The federal government is giving away part of its taxation authority to two British Columbia band councils.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.