Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat pastry with a spicy currant filling.
- ‘A few things to try include Aylesbury duck, Banbury cakes and Oxford marmalade.’
- ‘Banbury is inevitably associated in the minds of most people with two things - the famous Banbury cakes and the Banbury Cross of the nursery rhyme.’
- ‘Our Banbury cakes are available in trays, individual packs of three or in woven baskets for counter display.’
- ‘The town is famous for Banbury cakes, which are still available in a number of bakeries and restaurants locally.’
- ‘For example, Banbury cakes and Staffordshire Oatcakes are not widely available outside their own localities.’
- ‘You can also see some basketmakers’ tools at the Pitt Rivers Museum and the beautiful Banbury cake basket at the Banbury Museum.’
- ‘The town is also famed for the Banbury cake, an oval ‘cake’ of flaky pastry filled with mixed dried fruit, from which the weekly newspaper Banbury Cake derived its odd name.’
- ‘Cheeses, ales and Banbury cake - a flaky pastry filled with spices and dried fruit - brought additional fame to the area; the cakes remain a staple even today.’
- ‘The Banbury cake is said to have been made as early as the 13 th century when crusaders returned from the Near East armed with dried fruits and spices.’
- ‘Modern Banbury cakes are small and oval, made of light flaky pastry with a crisp top achieved by a powdering of sugar before baking.’
- ‘Since the 17th century it has been noted for the baking of Banbury cakes, a currant pastry.’
- ‘To make Banbury cake, wash and pick over four pounds of currants, and dry them in a cloth.’
Late 16th century: named after the town of Banbury in central England, where it was originally made.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.