Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region with a comparatively warm climate.
- ‘It also thrives in the banana belts of the inland valleys if they are well enough protected.’
- ‘In fact, some slopes are called banana belts, because they remain frost-free much longer than valley floors, which may be subjected to hard frosts.’
- ‘Alaskans, with what passes for humour, call this relatively temperate south-eastern corner of their state ‘the banana belt’.’
- ‘But it's an unusual pocket of warmth, resulting from marine effects and a coastline that curves inland, that has helped to earn this area a reputation as the banana belt of Oregon.’
- ‘When high peaks are buried in snow, valleys on the lea side are often banana belts - areas of warmer than expected weather.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.