One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region with a comparatively warm climate.
- ‘But it's an unusual pocket of warmth, resulting from marine effects and a coastline that curves inland, that has helped to earn this area a reputation as the banana belt of Oregon.’
- ‘When high peaks are buried in snow, valleys on the lea side are often banana belts - areas of warmer than expected weather.’
- ‘Alaskans, with what passes for humour, call this relatively temperate south-eastern corner of their state ‘the banana belt’.’
- ‘In fact, some slopes are called banana belts, because they remain frost-free much longer than valley floors, which may be subjected to hard frosts.’
- ‘It also thrives in the banana belts of the inland valleys if they are well enough protected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.