One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American poplar tree which yields balsam.
Populus balsamifera, family Salicaceae
- ‘Forest canopy layer was dominated by trembling aspen and white spruce, but also contained some black spruce and balsam poplar.’
- ‘Other less-common tree species included black spruce, jack pine, and balsam poplar.’
- ‘White spruce forest also includes paper birch and balsam poplar.’
- ‘The leaves of balsam poplar are particularly showy when the wind blows, exposing their rust-colored lower surface.’
- ‘For some distance, the highway passed through boreal forest, where white spruce and balsam poplar are the dominant species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.