One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The treatment of disease by bathing in mineral springs.
- ‘The centre offers a range of treatments for men and women, from manicures and facials to massages and balneotherapy (a bath with jets).’
- ‘There is some evidence that balneotherapy is helpful.’
- ‘Then it was into the tub room for some balneotherapy action to remove the mineral clumps and oil and to detox in some hot seaweed water.’
- ‘The girls can choose from hydrojet, balneotherapy, algotherapy, vichyshower, massage, body scrub, brumisation, pressotherapy and cryotherapy.’
- ‘Almost comatose, I was sent back to the relaxation room where my partner, also in a semi-vegetative state, was resting after undergoing balneotherapy.’
Late 19th century: from Latin balneum ‘bath’ + therapy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.