One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A harbourside suburb of Sydney, close to the city centre.
Balmain boys don't cry
informal Used to emphasize the reputed toughness of men from Balmain.‘Balmain boys don't cry mate, they only bruise a little’
- ‘Balmain boys may not cry but they can get emotional when asked what makes being a dad so special.’
- ‘I'm conscious of a statement by a very prominent Australian who says Balmain boys don't cry.’
- ‘He once famously said that Balmain boys don't cry.’
- ‘It will be interesting to see how many Balmain Boys will be crying that night.’
- ‘He told a royal commission, "Balmain boys don't cry. But if you prick us with a pin, we bleed like anyone else."’
Named after the landowner William Balmain (1762–1803).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.