One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loose-fitting overcoat with a small rounded collar, typically having raglan sleeves.
- ‘There is a major trend toward silver this season, so there are trench coats and balmacaans in silver, but that's not the only choice.’
- ‘Shirtdresses, trench coats, pea jackets, car coats, balmacaans, jean jackets and jeans are eternally youthful in spirit… and appropriate for every age and season.’
- ‘I was quite taken with her coats, with the plaid balmacaan being particularly lovely.’
- ‘Traditional men's haberdashery fabrics will continue their rise, cut into curvy female figure-friendly pantsuits, French-cuffed shirts, balmacaans and trench coats.’
- ‘A clear winner was the’ knee-length mink balmacaan, worn over the shoulder, backed by hand-painted camouflage.’
Early 20th century: named after Balmacaan, an estate near Inverness in Scotland.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.