One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Formal social dancing in couples, popular as a recreation and also as a competitive activity. The ballroom dance repertoire includes dances developed from old European folk dances such as the waltz and minuet, Latin American dances such as the tango, rumba, and cha-cha, and dances of 20th-century origin such as the foxtrot and quickstep.
- ‘Anyway she taught us all how to ballroom dance in a way that was different, because some of it was just dance moves made to looked like ballroom dancing.’
- ‘He was a neurosurgeon, yes, and a wonderful, wonderful man whose hobbies were skiing and dancing, ballroom dancing.’
- ‘O'Connor actually competed in ballroom dancing when she was between seven and ten.’
- ‘Just before her mother's death in 1958, Nerina decided to take up ballroom dancing and joined a dance club.’
- ‘Although ballroom dancing is popular in the townships, there are no ballet teachers there.’
- ‘Competitive ballroom and Latin dancing should never be confused with ballroom dancing.’
- ‘She also has the pleasure of continuing with her training in ballroom dancing while achieving her competencies.’
- ‘Mention ballroom dancing and many immediately think of the waltz.’
- ‘His main recreation remains ballroom dancing - tango, cha cha and waltz being his specialities.’
- ‘At first that meant giving the sales staff lessons in ballroom dancing to help them develop an air of sophistication.’
- ‘Then they do a few more hours of off ice work every day - ballroom dancing, Latin dancing, hip hop, and gym work.’
- ‘There is entertainment galore, from choirs and music to ballroom dancing and various competitions.’
- ‘For example, ballroom dancing had been popular in the Cape cities after the war.’
- ‘My friend was trying to teach me to break dance, but my first love will always be ballroom dancing!’
- ‘The social stigma surrounding ballroom dancing in Japan is one reason why he conceals the pursuit from his family.’
- ‘But aside from that, he was the most popular man on the floor of many dance halls in the golden age of ballroom dancing.’
- ‘The couple started ballroom dancing lessons three years ago.’
- ‘We also teach ballroom dancing, which is popular among Anglo-Indians.’
- ‘And these kids aren't dancing on the ceiling, but they are ballroom dancing.’
- ‘She loves dancing and plans to continue ballroom dancing with her husband for many years to come.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.