One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A baseball player.
- ‘Clemente will always be remembered as a big-time ballplayer… and perhaps one of the best baseball players ever.’
- ‘The vast majority of Americans followed baseball and ballplayers.’
- ‘As we celebrate Robinson's arrival and what it meant to baseball and this country, his absolute talent as a ballplayer is well worth remembering.’
- ‘All the great ballplayers have struck out a lot of times.’
- ‘Before Clyde, there had been some ballplayers who went directly from high school to the major leagues, but few faced the pressure cooker Clyde did.’
- ‘I really believe that they need to bring in more players who have been there, ballplayers who have been successful.’
- ‘But it's a deeply flawed squad, built on the faulty premise that star ballplayers remain healthy and productive forever.’
- ‘At that time, ballplayers worked during the winter.’
- ‘Among things they do share, though, is an off-season conditioning program so demanding that few ballplayers work harder.’
- ‘He believes in building a ball club out of ballplayers.’
- ‘Hell hath no fury like a ballplayer scored out of a base hit he feels he deserves, or charged with an error he feels he doesn't.’
- ‘Every ballplayer's dream is to win the World Series and hit a home run.’
- ‘Only two other Christmas-born ballplayers who have appeared in the majors are still active in organized ball.’
- ‘Westrum enjoys talking about the ballplayers of his day.’
- ‘My heroes were ballplayers, and every spare minute I had, and even some that I couldn't spare, were spent on the baseball diamond.’
- ‘Most ballplayers are loath to admit they swing for the fences, but they're lying if they say they don't savor the moment when it happens.’
- ‘Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela now had ballplayers playing for major-league teams.’
- ‘It was not long before Hispanic ballplayers earned their well-deserved place in the cradle of American baseball.’
- ‘Because baseball is virtually an every day sport, ballplayers often react on habit.’
- ‘In case my point was missed, I'll put it plainly: Babe Ruth is the greatest ballplayer of all time because he set both batting and pitching records.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.