One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hand whisk made of loops of wire.
- ‘Using a hand-held electric or balloon whisk, beat the egg whites in a large greaseproof bowl until they form firm but still floppy peaks.’
- ‘Unlike most food preparation machines, the Chef uses a planetary action to move the dough hook, balloon whisk and K beater.’
- ‘Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl using a balloon whisk or hand-held mixer, until you have a firm foam with peaks that just flop over.’
- ‘Put all ingredients except milk into a mixing bowl and beat with a balloon whisk until combined.’
- ‘Using a balloon whisk or small hand-held electric whisk, whisk slowly and steadily until the mixture starts to turn a pale cream colour.’
- ‘Get a balloon whisk, beat the egg yolk and acid, and now for the bit where cookery writers can get seriously lyrical about wasting your time and energy.’
- ‘Whip the cream in a large stainless steel bowl with a balloon whisk.’
- ‘I use a wire balloon whisk for this, but if you feel like a bit of culinarily aided whirring, it will certainly be quicker with a hand-held electric whisk.’
- ‘But Ramsay's genius with a balloon whisk and jar of truffle oil has won him Michelin stars and international acclaim.’
- ‘Using a small balloon whisk, mix in enough oil to give a thick emulsion.’
- ‘Now bring it slowly to the boil, whisking vigorously with a balloon whisk until a crust forms.’
- ‘Remove after two hours and whisk the mixture firmly with a balloon whisk or electric hand mixer, bringing the frozen edges into the middle.’
- ‘Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk, then cook over a medium heat until it thickens; stir or beat with a balloon whisk all the time to prevent lumps.’
- ‘Sift the flour into a small bowl, and using a balloon whisk, beat in the egg yolk and water until you have a smooth batter.’
- ‘Then, a balloon whisk called a spino is used to stir the curdled milk and make it smooth.’
- ‘Stir gently but continuously with a balloon whisk until the mixture is as thick as a good custard.’
- ‘Now, using a balloon whisk, whisk in the giblet stock, bit by bit, until you have a smooth gravy.’
- ‘Put all the filling ingredients in a bowl and beat with a balloon whisk until well combined.’
- ‘All it takes is a cheeky smile, quick wit and flick of a balloon whisk, and I am hooked.’
- ‘Whisk together with a balloon whisk and add 1 oz hard marg. or butter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.