One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hand whisk made of loops of wire.
- ‘Put all the filling ingredients in a bowl and beat with a balloon whisk until well combined.’
- ‘Whisk together with a balloon whisk and add 1 oz hard marg. or butter.’
- ‘Using a balloon whisk or small hand-held electric whisk, whisk slowly and steadily until the mixture starts to turn a pale cream colour.’
- ‘Now, using a balloon whisk, whisk in the giblet stock, bit by bit, until you have a smooth gravy.’
- ‘Using a small balloon whisk, mix in enough oil to give a thick emulsion.’
- ‘I use a wire balloon whisk for this, but if you feel like a bit of culinarily aided whirring, it will certainly be quicker with a hand-held electric whisk.’
- ‘Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl using a balloon whisk or hand-held mixer, until you have a firm foam with peaks that just flop over.’
- ‘Sift the flour into a small bowl, and using a balloon whisk, beat in the egg yolk and water until you have a smooth batter.’
- ‘Remove after two hours and whisk the mixture firmly with a balloon whisk or electric hand mixer, bringing the frozen edges into the middle.’
- ‘Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk, then cook over a medium heat until it thickens; stir or beat with a balloon whisk all the time to prevent lumps.’
- ‘Get a balloon whisk, beat the egg yolk and acid, and now for the bit where cookery writers can get seriously lyrical about wasting your time and energy.’
- ‘Stir gently but continuously with a balloon whisk until the mixture is as thick as a good custard.’
- ‘Then, a balloon whisk called a spino is used to stir the curdled milk and make it smooth.’
- ‘Using a hand-held electric or balloon whisk, beat the egg whites in a large greaseproof bowl until they form firm but still floppy peaks.’
- ‘Whip the cream in a large stainless steel bowl with a balloon whisk.’
- ‘Unlike most food preparation machines, the Chef uses a planetary action to move the dough hook, balloon whisk and K beater.’
- ‘Now bring it slowly to the boil, whisking vigorously with a balloon whisk until a crust forms.’
- ‘Put all ingredients except milk into a mixing bowl and beat with a balloon whisk until combined.’
- ‘All it takes is a cheeky smile, quick wit and flick of a balloon whisk, and I am hooked.’
- ‘But Ramsay's genius with a balloon whisk and jar of truffle oil has won him Michelin stars and international acclaim.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.