One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large tyre containing air at low pressure for travel on soft or uneven surfaces.
- ‘Small balloon tires were wrapped in aluminum spats and the tires were the sole shock absorbers.’
- ‘She was on an old one speed, with balloon tires, coaster brakes, and the trademark oversized chain guard.’
- ‘I said ‘Yes, they used to call me balloon tyres’, because I'm not a tall man as you can see, but I got my legs strong, because I knew to be a runner you had to have something.’
- ‘We fitted the trucks with air wheels - balloon tires, we would say now - and kept going, navigating like mariners, by sextant and compass and dead reckoning.’
- ‘In 1953 he built what he called a ‘Woodsie Bike,’ using a Schwinn World diamond frame, balloon tires, flat handlebars, derailleur gears, and cantilever brakes.’
- ‘It has four wheels with large balloon tyres, an unstressed 130 kW, 4 litre six cylinder engine and a five speed manual gearbox in which fifth gear is very, very rarely called for.’
- ‘Fortunately, the airplane had the slightly oversized balloon tires installed.’
- ‘The staff were very helpful and most difficulties were easily overcome, though we really needed a 4 x 4 wheelchair fitted with balloon tyres for the desert!’
- ‘It meant General Assignment Slot, but I always thought of a Gas Lot, some black-and-white corner station from a 20s Disney cartoon with vacuum pumps and Model Ts with patched balloon tires.’
- ‘Fitted with balloon tires for boondock operation, a Cub becomes the next best thing to a helicopter.’
- ‘In fact, several of the racers, King included, noted that Pennington's balloon tires gave both a smoother ride and a better handling performance in the snow.’
- ‘Out of the junk arose something that looked a little like a motorized lawnmower with a nose job: a tiny cabin sat on wide balloon tires, with a sort of snout.’
- ‘Extrapolating the ‘wider and softer is better ‘logic, we should be seeing Lance in the Tour riding balloon tires pumped up to 20 psi.’
- ‘The big balloon tires had been replaced with authentic 1929 16-inch wheels and high pressure tires.’
- ‘We've got these three-wheelers with balloon tyres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.