One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large tyre containing air at low pressure for travel on soft or uneven surfaces.
- ‘Out of the junk arose something that looked a little like a motorized lawnmower with a nose job: a tiny cabin sat on wide balloon tires, with a sort of snout.’
- ‘We've got these three-wheelers with balloon tyres.’
- ‘In fact, several of the racers, King included, noted that Pennington's balloon tires gave both a smoother ride and a better handling performance in the snow.’
- ‘The big balloon tires had been replaced with authentic 1929 16-inch wheels and high pressure tires.’
- ‘I said ‘Yes, they used to call me balloon tyres’, because I'm not a tall man as you can see, but I got my legs strong, because I knew to be a runner you had to have something.’
- ‘Fitted with balloon tires for boondock operation, a Cub becomes the next best thing to a helicopter.’
- ‘Extrapolating the ‘wider and softer is better ‘logic, we should be seeing Lance in the Tour riding balloon tires pumped up to 20 psi.’
- ‘It has four wheels with large balloon tyres, an unstressed 130 kW, 4 litre six cylinder engine and a five speed manual gearbox in which fifth gear is very, very rarely called for.’
- ‘The staff were very helpful and most difficulties were easily overcome, though we really needed a 4 x 4 wheelchair fitted with balloon tyres for the desert!’
- ‘Fortunately, the airplane had the slightly oversized balloon tires installed.’
- ‘In 1953 he built what he called a ‘Woodsie Bike,’ using a Schwinn World diamond frame, balloon tires, flat handlebars, derailleur gears, and cantilever brakes.’
- ‘It meant General Assignment Slot, but I always thought of a Gas Lot, some black-and-white corner station from a 20s Disney cartoon with vacuum pumps and Model Ts with patched balloon tires.’
- ‘We fitted the trucks with air wheels - balloon tires, we would say now - and kept going, navigating like mariners, by sextant and compass and dead reckoning.’
- ‘She was on an old one speed, with balloon tires, coaster brakes, and the trademark oversized chain guard.’
- ‘Small balloon tires were wrapped in aluminum spats and the tires were the sole shock absorbers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.