One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a bulbous, rounded shape, tapering at one end.‘a huge balloon-shaped brandy glass’
bulging, round, fat, rotund, swollen, spherical, swelling, distended, bloated, protuberant, ovoid, convex, pear-shaped, bulb-shapedView synonyms
- ‘The balloon-shaped misanthrope grabs the first seat around the corner and holds to the pole like the bus might leave without her.’
- ‘Like any fine brandy, Armagnac should be drunk in a balloon-shaped glass.’
- ‘The bladder is a balloon-shaped organ that stores urine.’
- ‘In the past the tasting of brandy was bedevilled by the mystique of the enormous balloon-shaped ballon glasses traditionally used.’
- ‘A sallow, almost balloon-shaped man with graying, black hair entered the hallway.’
- ‘The centre maintains nearly 40 strains of mice and rats and each strain live in three or four balloon-shaped bags, which should remain a germ-free environment for 24 hours.’
- ‘The whisk is balloon-shaped for maximum aeration.’
- ‘Her gown of light blue brocade had a matching sheer bolero, and was made with a balloon-shaped skirt.’
- ‘To keep his head and get the girl, the male fly resorts to gift-giving, presenting the female with a small, balloon-shaped cocoon.’
- ‘Pour wine over ice cubes in a balloon-shaped wineglass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.