One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A missile with a high, arching trajectory, which is initially powered and guided but falls under gravity on to its target.
- ‘A ballistic missile is accelerated by rocket propulsion and guided by internal controls, though once its fuel is spent it then coasts to its target.’
- ‘Suborbital paths are the trajectories of choice for ballistic missiles.’
- ‘For the ballistic missile proved it could do the same job as the cruise missile, and do it better.’
- ‘A system capable of reliably stopping a ballistic missile is likely to be that much more capable against conventional aircraft.’
- ‘The Arrow was designed to intercept short range ballistic missiles, although it can be upgraded to handle longer range missiles.’
- ‘So both nations initiated design projects to mount their ballistic missiles on merchant vessels or on warships.’
- ‘The silo used to carry one of the last models of intercontinental ballistic missiles the Soviet Union ever made.’
- ‘The Nazis also of course used cruise missiles and ballistic missiles long before anyone else.’
- ‘A seaborne missile defense system to counter enemy ballistic missiles is being deployed on the Pacific theater.’
- ‘One could argue that such a missile defence system would bring about the abandonment of ballistic missiles as strategic weapons.’
- ‘Who cares about outdated computers, small generators, or 1960s ballistic missiles?’
- ‘An intercontinental ballistic missile has a range of more than 5,500 km.’
- ‘These include cruise missiles and ballistic missiles of longer ranges and greater accuracy.’
- ‘The Thaad missile, designed to intercept medium-range ballistic missiles, missed its target in six consecutive test shots.’
- ‘Ten percent of the facilities is within the range of non-strategic ballistic missiles.’
- ‘More than that, such regimes seek to purchase ballistic missiles and other vehicles to deliver MDW to certain regions.’
- ‘The basic idea is to combine OTH radar with ballistic missiles to target ships.’
- ‘Missiles screamed in from the ballistic missile launchers and slammed into the ground, blasting huge craters.’
- ‘Chinese defense commentators openly assert that their ballistic missile force is already targeted on Japan because of this potential.’
- ‘He supported research into cruise and ballistic missiles, precision weapons, jet engines, and rockets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.