One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who is good at getting possession of or catching the ball.
- ‘Smith, a ballhawk, will play in center field, and the team hopes to get more interceptions and pass breakups.’
- ‘As evidenced by his seven interceptions this season, he's a ballhawk who has a knack for popping up in unexpected places.’
- ‘He such an instinctive player, a ballhawk in that sense.’
- ‘Edwards always has been a leader and a ballhawk, and he can play inside or outside.’
- ‘Not only was he a ballhawk and a game-breaker, but he emerged as the leader of a Baltimore defense that was rich in talent.’
- ‘He is a top-flight shooter, a good help defender, an ideal fast-break companion to Marbury and an underrated ballhawk.’
- ‘He has always been a good ballhawk and rebounder for his size.’
- ‘Free safety is open, but Scott is not a ballhawk and not a good fit there.’
- ‘He also must be more of a ballhawk on plays downfield, although those opportunities may be limited.’
- ‘The most intriguing matchup will take place at the point, where both squads start pass-first freshmen who are great defensive ballhawks.’
- ‘Both are ballhawks that study more film than most other defensive players.’
- ‘What they do have is a group of aggressive ballhawks who anticipate well.’
- ‘The Vikings, takeaway-happy ballhawks a year ago, still don't have an interception and have to get after QB David Carr in order to win.’
- ‘But those game-breakers complement a first-rate defense in Tampa, a rapidly developing one in Atlanta, and some ballhawks in New Orleans.’
- ‘Now Green is a ballhawk who ranks among the better strong safeties as a pass defender.’
- ‘He is a ballhawk if there ever was one, but it remains to be seen whether he can repeat this kind of performance.’
- ‘He has speed and instincts to be a ballhawk, and has picked off almost a pass a day.’
- ‘He is just 27 years old and is known for being a ballhawk.’
- ‘But he won a starting job late in preseason and has been a hard-hitting ballhawk (four interceptions).’
- ‘Cota was a noted ballhawk during his first four years in the league with the Panthers and Saints, collecting 11 interceptions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.