One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's elaborate full-length dress suitable for wearing to balls and similar social gatherings.
- ‘It looked for all the world like a real Cinderella doll wearing a beautiful pink ballgown.’
- ‘She trusts me to choose her ball gowns.’
- ‘Women were wearing ballgowns, men were trussed up in evening jackets.’
- ‘Suddenly, Elizabeth was dressed in the most beautiful silver ball gown she had ever seen!’
- ‘Take a lovely young woman in a red turn-of-the-century ball gown.’
- ‘This gives her precious little time to find a ball-gown.’
- ‘Forced into ball gowns at every opportunity, she looks ready for a Vogue photo shoot.’
- ‘I pretended I was a princess sweeping down the stairway in my ball gown.’
- ‘A true princess style can encompass a range of ball gowns.’
- ‘She was, to my untutored eyes, a shining goddess wearing a ball-gown.’
- ‘Women in ball gowns were hoisted in endless lifts above the heads of soldiers who played their cards in a blur.’
- ‘Every time I walk past a bolt of silk, I envision it pleated into a fantastic ball gown.’
- ‘The only item left to arrive was a ball-gown that she was having made at Mr. Darcy's request.’
- ‘On it was a picture of a lady in a ballgown by a window.’
- ‘Often the clothing included such items as business suits, ball gowns, and high-heeled shoes.’
- ‘She emerged from the banquet room dressed in a scarlet ball gown that fit every curve of her torso.’
- ‘And when they returned to competition, they were done for good with the ties, tails, and the ball gowns of old.’
- ‘She had placed some diamond pins in her hair and was dressed in an elaborate black and white ball gown.’
- ‘Maybe I was still hoping she would present me with some of her discarded ball gowns.’
- ‘Kit turned back to her and laced up the back of her pink ball gown.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.