One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A girl who retrieves balls that go out of play during a game such as tennis or soccer.
- ‘Kristine O'Hara, in her third year as a ballgirl, finds herself in a completely new role.’
- ‘To say the least, the ballgirls were memorable, and the prize giveaways to fans were… unusual.’
- ‘The 12-year-old schoolgirls will be running out onto the pitch at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff as ballgirls for the FA Cup final between the Reds and Millwall.’
- ‘But this was the playoffs, and her reign as ballgirl was ending after this pressure-packed evening.’
- ‘As usual all the ballgirls plus their coach will get free admission into any game that they are working.’
- ‘Perhaps it would be called a balk today because the ballgirls were conspirators.’
- ‘They hand out awards to members of the impressive squad of Altrincham ballgirls and boys.’
- ‘Out of these talks grew a program in which members of the CC women's basketball team tutor and serve as mentors to fifth-graders who, in turn, act as ballgirls during the CC women's basketball games.’
- ‘When pitchers get taken out of the game, they walk right past the ballgirls and do their sprints on the warning track as the game is being played.’
- ‘And I was the official ballgirl (if there is such a term).’
- ‘One after another bulleted serves rained in, one of which took out a ballgirl, leaving her with a bruise as a souvenir and Rusedski's match shirt as an apology.’
- ‘Then I realized that she was the ballgirl for the Sox and that I knew her from being on the field.’
- ‘I think he was intentionally banging the ball into the net to get the pretty ballgirl to run out.’
- ‘The Phillies are looking to hire a staff of twelve ballgirls who can represent the organization in media situations as well as perform duties on the field.’
- ‘The USTA has try-outs this June to become a ballboy or ballgirl at the US Open.’
- ‘Felipe was one of four kids from the program chosen to be ballboys and ballgirls for the Davis Cup.’
- ‘The elements bow to no man or woman, as ballgirls preparing for one of the UK's most prestigious tennis championships found to their cost.’
- ‘Mary Ann, a fourth-grader at Our Lady Fatima, is the Panthers’ ballgirl and hopes to play basketball there one day.’
- ‘I was a ballgirl for a professional men's tennis tournament for a couple of summers in junior high.’
- ‘With Neil's question of what I would do as owner of the Cubs, I realized I had forgotten one vital thing: I would bring back the ballgirl to Wrigley Field!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.