Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light, round-toed shoe with very flat heels for women or girls, resembling the type worn by ballet dancers.‘ballet shoes are perfect with everything from leggings and long sweaters to short skirts and jackets’
- ‘I reckon that size nine ballet pump you are wearing covers that stain nicely.’
- ‘Accessorise with a fake-fur stole, a smudge of eyeliner and sparkly ballet pumps.’
- ‘The kitten heel offers both feminine grace and womanly comfort, as do ballet flats.’
- ‘Old photographs show the elfin Audrey Hepburn and pouting Sophia Loren being personally fitted by him; and the company still produces a ballet shoe called the Audrey.’
- ‘I particularly like the black satin ballet shoes on the left.’
- ‘But she had matching midnight blue ballet shoes, A-line skirt and shoulder bag, and the courage to wear a clashing turquoise wool-knit cardigan.’
- ‘I wore my black ballet flats with them, just to keep it kind of casual.’
- ‘Vogue lists the trench coat, the bag, the white shirt, the jeans, the ballet flat, the biker jacket, the cashmere cardigan, the little black dress, the tuxedo and the watch as wardrobe essentials.’
- ‘She may find it difficult to find shoes that fit (ballet shoes with pink bows do not count).’
- ‘I wore my eighth-grade graduation dress and ballet flats.’
- ‘An alternative shoe style which will make a surprise appearance in 2006 will be ballet shoes.’
- ‘But I'm usually in jeans, ballet shoes and a jumper stolen from Jamie.’
- ‘Next, I was swayed by the cutest ballet shoes.’
- ‘I grabbed a pair of black ballet flats and leapt through the door after quickly brushing my hair.’
- ‘She came to the shoot in jeans, a white tank, black ballet flats and a black knit shawl.’
- ‘Though I love ballet flats, they're just not practical in winter.’
- ‘But times are changing, and this summer, women will be slipping off their stilettos in preference for fashionable - and more comfortable - flats such as moccasins, flip-flops and ballet pumps.’
- ‘But all the basics of a French woman's wardrobe were there, from the slim, cropped black trousers worn with ballet pumps to the beige macs, crisp white shirts and elegant navy knitwear.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.