One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed by a ballet company to teach and rehearse dancers.
- ‘Franklin has been a dancer, ballet master, choreographer, and artistic director.’
- ‘Notes Piper, the ballet master and an eight-year company affiliate, ‘Jean lets the teachers teach the way they want, but keeps an eye on things.’’
- ‘The native of Berkeley, Calif., had had a sterling career as soloist, principal dancer and ballet master with American Ballet Theatre.’
- ‘As he moves, he seems to shape-shift from an old ballet master to a flamenco star, to a self-caressing exhibitionist, to a squirrel.’
- ‘As ballet master in chief for Cincinnati Ballet since 2003, he is treasured for his thoughtful classes, clear observations, stern yet supportive nature, and sense of fun.’
- ‘When the Orlando ballet master asked him to enter the YAGP competition, ‘I told him I wasn't a competitions type of person,’ Gatti recalled.’
- ‘They never transgress the Competence of a sound ballet master.’
- ‘He sees him performing the odd role on stage as he moves into coaching and teaching as ballet master.’
- ‘Like Cinderella's prince, the former ABT ballet master traveled the globe seeking The Nutcracker of his dreams.’
- ‘It's the first time that the distinguished award has gone to a ballet master.’
- ‘Tanztheater Wuppertal employed him as their ballet master on tour.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Boston Ballet announced that Jorden Morris, ballet master and artistic coordinator, was appointed ballet master in chief.’
- ‘He also served as ballet master for Britain's Royal Opera, supervising all the opera ballets, from 1970 to 1990.’
- ‘One of the company's technical whiz kids contributes a devastating study of vain snobbishness as the ballet master.’
- ‘Degas drew Perrot, erect and white-haired, a little thick in the middle, grasping a ballet master's stick for beating time.’
- ‘In 1909 he was hired by Diaghilev as ballet master and character dancer for his new Ballets Russes company.’
- ‘The rich crown moldings are the ballet master's touch that will remain, she says.’
- ‘He was ballet master at several dance schools and workshops, and organized the first Northeast Regional Ballet Festival in 1959.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.