One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed by a ballet company to teach and rehearse dancers.
- ‘They never transgress the Competence of a sound ballet master.’
- ‘The native of Berkeley, Calif., had had a sterling career as soloist, principal dancer and ballet master with American Ballet Theatre.’
- ‘It's the first time that the distinguished award has gone to a ballet master.’
- ‘Notes Piper, the ballet master and an eight-year company affiliate, ‘Jean lets the teachers teach the way they want, but keeps an eye on things.’’
- ‘One of the company's technical whiz kids contributes a devastating study of vain snobbishness as the ballet master.’
- ‘The rich crown moldings are the ballet master's touch that will remain, she says.’
- ‘In 1909 he was hired by Diaghilev as ballet master and character dancer for his new Ballets Russes company.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Boston Ballet announced that Jorden Morris, ballet master and artistic coordinator, was appointed ballet master in chief.’
- ‘Like Cinderella's prince, the former ABT ballet master traveled the globe seeking The Nutcracker of his dreams.’
- ‘Franklin has been a dancer, ballet master, choreographer, and artistic director.’
- ‘Tanztheater Wuppertal employed him as their ballet master on tour.’
- ‘As he moves, he seems to shape-shift from an old ballet master to a flamenco star, to a self-caressing exhibitionist, to a squirrel.’
- ‘He sees him performing the odd role on stage as he moves into coaching and teaching as ballet master.’
- ‘He was ballet master at several dance schools and workshops, and organized the first Northeast Regional Ballet Festival in 1959.’
- ‘When the Orlando ballet master asked him to enter the YAGP competition, ‘I told him I wasn't a competitions type of person,’ Gatti recalled.’
- ‘As ballet master in chief for Cincinnati Ballet since 2003, he is treasured for his thoughtful classes, clear observations, stern yet supportive nature, and sense of fun.’
- ‘He also served as ballet master for Britain's Royal Opera, supervising all the opera ballets, from 1970 to 1990.’
- ‘Degas drew Perrot, erect and white-haired, a little thick in the middle, grasping a ballet master's stick for beating time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.