Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person employed by a ballet company to teach and rehearse dancers.
- ‘He was ballet master at several dance schools and workshops, and organized the first Northeast Regional Ballet Festival in 1959.’
- ‘As ballet master in chief for Cincinnati Ballet since 2003, he is treasured for his thoughtful classes, clear observations, stern yet supportive nature, and sense of fun.’
- ‘They never transgress the Competence of a sound ballet master.’
- ‘In 1909 he was hired by Diaghilev as ballet master and character dancer for his new Ballets Russes company.’
- ‘He sees him performing the odd role on stage as he moves into coaching and teaching as ballet master.’
- ‘When the Orlando ballet master asked him to enter the YAGP competition, ‘I told him I wasn't a competitions type of person,’ Gatti recalled.’
- ‘One of the company's technical whiz kids contributes a devastating study of vain snobbishness as the ballet master.’
- ‘The native of Berkeley, Calif., had had a sterling career as soloist, principal dancer and ballet master with American Ballet Theatre.’
- ‘Tanztheater Wuppertal employed him as their ballet master on tour.’
- ‘Like Cinderella's prince, the former ABT ballet master traveled the globe seeking The Nutcracker of his dreams.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Boston Ballet announced that Jorden Morris, ballet master and artistic coordinator, was appointed ballet master in chief.’
- ‘As he moves, he seems to shape-shift from an old ballet master to a flamenco star, to a self-caressing exhibitionist, to a squirrel.’
- ‘Franklin has been a dancer, ballet master, choreographer, and artistic director.’
- ‘The rich crown moldings are the ballet master's touch that will remain, she says.’
- ‘He also served as ballet master for Britain's Royal Opera, supervising all the opera ballets, from 1970 to 1990.’
- ‘Degas drew Perrot, erect and white-haired, a little thick in the middle, grasping a ballet master's stick for beating time.’
- ‘Notes Piper, the ballet master and an eight-year company affiliate, ‘Jean lets the teachers teach the way they want, but keeps an eye on things.’’
- ‘It's the first time that the distinguished award has gone to a ballet master.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.