Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A valve which is linked by a hinged arm to a ball floating on top of a liquid and opens or closes a tap automatically according to the height of the ball, especially in the cistern of a flushing toilet.
- ‘From these, the water was piped to a ballcock regulated cistern, and from there to a small pond constructed of cement and limestone rocks to blend in with the surroundings.’
- ‘The device that caused the scare was later said to have been a ballcock from a bathroom cistern, packed with fireworks.’
- ‘He obtained a ballcock of a WC, welded it to a spike, and persuaded the Dockyard to cover it with gold leaf - an expensive procedure!’
- ‘However, this Capone turned out to be nothing more sinister than a plumber, more used to fitting ballcocks than firing a Tommy gun.’
- ‘It reminded me more of Claes Oldenurg's 1967 proposal for a monumental ballcock in the Thames.’
- ‘I can't even remember if the problem to do with the header tank and the problem to do with the ballcock stop valve were connected, physically or metaphorically.’
- ‘A poke here, a jab there and suddenly the bizarre piece of plastic that had wedged the ballcock in the upright position causing the cistern to not refill fell away and it filled up.’
- ‘‘I remember being on the top of a ladder trying to hang up giant holly berries made out of - would you believe - lavatory ballcocks,’ he chuckles.’
- ‘They went to a house in Longship Way, Maldon, and told the owner they were there to fix the ballcock in the loft.’
- ‘Place the new ballcock through the hole in the tank.’
- ‘Two other reasons for flushing problems could be that the flush valve or the ballcock need to be replaced.’
- ‘If a replacement ballcock has been installed, make sure that the water level in the tank is no less than 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube on the flush valve.’
- ‘Finally, as the evening cooled, Graham took himself up to the loft to replace the worn-out ballcock float and valve that's been giving us a problem for some time.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.