One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy who retrieves balls that go out of play during a game such as tennis or soccer.
- ‘But as I learned as a ballboy and growing up around football when the head coach is making fun of a guy a lot, it usually means he really likes him.’
- ‘Unfortunately, I tested the ballboys more than the goalkeeper.’
- ‘‘Things are fast, no question,’ he acknowledges, but only after giving credit to everyone but the Steelers' ballboys.’
- ‘Wimbledon is fast approaching and with it the unbridled hilarity of pigeons landing on the court, ballboys tripping over and the ball getting stuck in the net.’
- ‘I'd go down there right now and I'd be the ballboy.’
- ‘At the same time, the ballboys had to wipe the sweat from the baseline on Mirnyi's side of the court as his tormentor worked him into a lather.’
- ‘But soon the fullback might rank slightly above the ballboy in terms of value to its team.’
- ‘I don't care if it is the owner or the ballboy, it doesn't matter to him.’
- ‘Michael was one of the ballboys at the men's basketball games.’
- ‘In fact, all four Barry sons served as Golden State Warriors ballboys.’
- ‘The team provided by the Beacon School as ballboys and girls at Wimbledon tennis tournament is excellent.’
- ‘I was even a mascot once and ballboy twice, in the late 1980s.’
- ‘He's playing in an end-of-camp touch football game with Vikings interns and ballboys last summer and tears up his ankle but doesn't have surgery until winter.’
- ‘He was indeed caught - but by the ballboy two yards behind the boundary.’
- ‘Foul balls scream down the third-base line, threatening mayhem to coaches, ballboys and spectators.’
- ‘My family were Everton fans and I used to be a ballboy at Goodison when I was 12.’
- ‘I understand that he has an offer to be a ballboy at Wimbledon, but I do not think he is quick enough on his feet to take up that one.’
- ‘If you see no signals, and the server wasn't huddling with the ballboy, then they are probably using the same ball.’
- ‘I only went to tell the referee that Effenberg had hit the ballboy.’
- ‘He worked for the team as a training camp ballboy in his youth and later was press box manager for their games at Three Rivers Stadium.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.