One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unlawful alteration of the surface or seam of a ball on the field, to affect its motion when bowled.
- ‘The referee charged him under clause 2.10 of the code of conduct, which deals specifically with ball-tampering.’
- ‘In 2003, he was banned for ball-tampering and using offensive language.’
- ‘He showed the umpire the ball, careful not to incur a ball-tampering penalty.’
- ‘Last season, he was reprimanded and received three penalty points for ball-tampering during the match against Warwickshire at Horsham.’
- ‘Nobody has quite mastered reverse swing as well as he has, although his methods sometimes stray beyond legitimacy: he was given a one-match suspension for ball-tampering in 2000.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.