Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘What do we want, a Balkanisation of the country?’
- ‘The drive to create a clearer national identity is also backed by religious leaders who are likewise concerned about the Balkanisation of the country.’
- ‘The division of peoples along national, ethnic and religious lines can lead only to a Balkanisation of the continent, with the most terrible consequences.’
- ‘The Balkanization of the internet is one of the great things about it.’
- ‘The punk movement fizzled with the backslide into further genre Balkanization, but that doesn't mean the desire for confrontation has subsided.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.