Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the Balkan Mountains or to the countries occupying the part of SE Europe lying south of the Danube and Sava Rivers.‘films from the Balkan countries’‘a Balkan state’
- ‘The different regions of Greece have absorbed elements of the music of their Turkish, Balkan, and Italian neighbours, so that it is impossible to speak of a single tradition.’
- ‘She has published extensively on Eastern European and Balkan cinema.’
- ‘The horseshoe-shaped country is in the Balkan peninsula, along the Adriatic coast.’
- ‘Will the Balkan region become a center for contemporary dance?’
- ‘Macedonian food is typically Balkan.’
- ‘He says the post-war pottery is Balkan in style because the Trojans were keen to align themselves with the people there.’
- ‘Right now the focus is mixing Balkan music with Latin American, because those two have discovered each other and are going bananas.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.