One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the Balkan Mountains or to the countries occupying the part of south-eastern Europe lying south of the Danube and Sava Rivers.‘films from the Balkan countries’‘a Balkan state’
- ‘The different regions of Greece have absorbed elements of the music of their Turkish, Balkan, and Italian neighbours, so that it is impossible to speak of a single tradition.’
- ‘The horseshoe-shaped country is in the Balkan peninsula, along the Adriatic coast.’
- ‘He says the post-war pottery is Balkan in style because the Trojans were keen to align themselves with the people there.’
- ‘Macedonian food is typically Balkan.’
- ‘Will the Balkan region become a center for contemporary dance?’
- ‘She has published extensively on Eastern European and Balkan cinema.’
- ‘Right now the focus is mixing Balkan music with Latin American, because those two have discovered each other and are going bananas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.