One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Mum expressed this by huffing from room to room muttering about road deaths and glaring at me balefully, pausing to sigh ‘it's not that I don't trust you, love.’’
- ‘He once remarked balefully that ‘in England I am too much an American, and in America, too much an Englishman.’’
- ‘It is such a retro settlement that the working men's club glares balefully across Main Street at the Conservative club, like the post-industrial revolution never happened.’
- ‘She blinked balefully down her long, greasy nose at me and then grabbed his arm, wordlessly dragging him off to the dance floor.’
- ‘I looked balefully at the empty restaurant, wondering why we couldn't just sit, but that's against the rules.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.