One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the Balearic Islands.‘the Balearic government’
- ‘Balearic minister Eberhard Grosske described the situation as "lamentable."’
- ‘A spokeswoman for the Balearic Institute of Tourism said, "They have guaranteed that there will be no more strikes in the Balearics."’
- ‘The Balearic archipelago has a rich endemic element.’
- ‘Positioning oneself for optimum tanning on a Balearic beach requires some thought.’
- ‘The 43-year-old last won on the European Tour at the 1994 Balearic Open.’
- ‘McConnell had opted for the Balearic sunshine rather than a New Year in freezing Scotland.’
- ‘Last week the Balearic government's tourism minister flew to the island only to be greeted by striking airport workers.’
- ‘Molecular data indicated that western and eastern Balearic populations of the complex (H. grosii and H. balearica) were more closely related to each other than to continental populations (H. valentina).’
- ‘Darren is a Balearic virgin but I've been to 'the big island' several times and I can't wait to show him round.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting a style of synthesized dance music that developed in Ibiza.‘the Balearic beat’
- ‘The expensive Only This Moment, which follows, is resolutely bolder and proudly displays its Balearic influences on its sleeves.’
- ‘One Dove's only full-length, Morning Dove White, combined Balearic chill with Neil Young folkiness and arcing feedback.’
- ‘The result of the club attention was an invitation for Poloroid to perform a bespoke Balearic set live for Radio 1 in Ibiza, an experience Dan will never forget.’
- ‘Diz Washington does the honours covering Christopher Cross' Balearic favourite "Sailing."’
- ‘The net result is still a fluent collection of blissed-out Balearic sunset moments and lounge beats for the ever expanding bar culture.’
- ‘Sally and Steve have been king and queen of the Balearic chill out set for the last decade.’
- ‘The album opens with "Ola," a generous portion of smooth, Balearic house furnished with acoustic guitar, gentle piano and Mr Kershaw's soprano sax.’
From Latin Balearis + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.