One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural baldiesderogatory, informal
A bald-headed person.
- ‘I am a baldie and over the last year or so, I have noticed more men with longer hair and that women are paying less attention to bald headed men.’
- ‘For the most part, the Etech conference was made up of two groups: the graybeards and the baldies (alternatively the t-shirt brigade).’
- ‘Even so, despite her ‘inner beauty’ platitudes, she's voted off the fats, baldies and dental monstrosities in an entirely predictable manner.’
- ‘The irony gets a little heavy-handed - one of the baldies discovers love while picking up an anorexic chick in the hospital cafeteria - but the sentiment is genuine.’
- ‘Still the large contingent of baldies and grey-hairs (myself in both camps) seem to really dig it.’
- ‘And if he keeps up this momentum, the baldie who launched a thousand advert soundtracks should start watching his back.’
- ‘But the tough-looking kid, sensing she's about to lose her milk bottle, says, ‘I don't think so, baldy.’’
- ‘The occasional young face was apparent among the baldies and fatties.’
- ‘But as a middle-aged baldie who stands at five foot eight with a following wind, I hesitate to go around criticising how other people look.’
- ‘Not all male baldies are unhappy with their hairless lot.’
Bald.‘a baldy head’
hairless, bald-headed, smoothView synonyms
- ‘If this was Sheffield, where The Full Monty came from, a wig war would have been the cue for slapper jokes and baldy scams, but not here.’
- ‘Then as it drew closer I realised that it was a toupee and that the wind had blown it straight of his baldy head.’
- ‘The protagonist is a middle aged man in blue overalls, with a neat haircut and little baldy patch.’
- ‘But much as I'd like to take a critical blowtorch to the baldie vegan's latest platter, there's no criticising his not broke/don't fix it decision.’
- ‘I was still quite dull at that point, and to add to it, I looked like a baldy old man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.