One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white-headed North American eagle that includes fish among its prey. It is the national bird of the US but is now common only in Alaska.
- ‘This creek, popular with fishermen, also is a good spot to sight ospreys and bald eagles.’
- ‘Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.’
- ‘Three of the nation's endangered species are here: the bald eagle, the Delmarva fox squirrel, and the peregrine falcon.’
- ‘The presence of bald eagles likely prevented golden eagles from establishing themselves.’
- ‘Other ESA-listed birds that occur off northern Washington are the bald eagle, brown pelican, and snowy plover.’
- ‘The area is home to a variety of other birds, including nesting bald eagles, hawks, owls, bluebirds and several other songbirds, wild turkeys, herons, and waterfowl.’
- ‘Good fishing for sportsmen and women also means good fortune for those who must feed their families almost entirely by fishing - loons, ospreys, bald eagles and cormorants.’
- ‘How many boats going at high speeds are noticing the osprey, bald eagles and alligators?’
- ‘Disturbance can also cause nest abandonment in shy species, including bald eagles and white-tailed sea-eagles.’
- ‘Just months after Edwards Dam was removed, birds such as ospreys, bald eagles, and kingfishers returned.’
- ‘Ospreys and bald eagles could lose habitat as well.’
- ‘Early morning is a great time to observe wildlife, and very soon we saw moose, bald eagles, red foxes, and ptarmigan.’
- ‘Wildlife viewing is best on the morning run, when passengers often see bald eagles, osprey, deer, and otters.’
- ‘If we don't take care of the Chesapeake so that fish populations are healthy, the bald eagles won't be healthy, either.’
- ‘In 1987 a raptor biologist working on Lake Umbagog observed a bald eagle with a yellow tag in its wing.’
- ‘Other birds include a huge American bald eagle called Liberty, buzzards, Harris hawks, vultures, laughing kookaburras and a pelican.’
- ‘If your karma is good and you're having a good day, you may also see bald eagles, northern mockingbirds, scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings.’
- ‘What were a bald eagle, an owl, a vulture, a falcon and a northern gosshawk doing at the British Association for the Advancement of Science Meeting in Leicester?’
- ‘Predators of barracuda include such birds as bald eagles and terns.’
- ‘One of the protected species is the bald eagle, our national bird.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.