Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of the glans penis.
- ‘Circinate balanitis, a painless erythematous lesion of the glans penis, is present in about 20 percent of male patients with reactive arthritis.’
- ‘If you have phimosis and you keep getting repeat attacks of balanitis, then circumcision (removal of the foreskin) may be considered.’
- ‘The best way to prevent balanitis is through good hygiene.’
- ‘The medical name for redness and soreness of the glans is balanitis.’
- ‘In the case of balanitis, which is inflammation of the glans of the penis, circumcision was recommended to avoid repeated infection.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek balanos glans penis (literally acorn) + -itis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.