Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of the glans penis.
- ‘The medical name for redness and soreness of the glans is balanitis.’
- ‘In the case of balanitis, which is inflammation of the glans of the penis, circumcision was recommended to avoid repeated infection.’
- ‘If you have phimosis and you keep getting repeat attacks of balanitis, then circumcision (removal of the foreskin) may be considered.’
- ‘The best way to prevent balanitis is through good hygiene.’
- ‘Circinate balanitis, a painless erythematous lesion of the glans penis, is present in about 20 percent of male patients with reactive arthritis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek balanos glans penis (literally acorn) + -itis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.