One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the glans penis.
- ‘If you have phimosis and you keep getting repeat attacks of balanitis, then circumcision (removal of the foreskin) may be considered.’
- ‘Circinate balanitis, a painless erythematous lesion of the glans penis, is present in about 20 percent of male patients with reactive arthritis.’
- ‘In the case of balanitis, which is inflammation of the glans of the penis, circumcision was recommended to avoid repeated infection.’
- ‘The medical name for redness and soreness of the glans is balanitis.’
- ‘The best way to prevent balanitis is through good hygiene.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek balanos ‘glans penis’ (literally ‘acorn’) + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.