Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An action or activity that requires a delicate balance between different situations or requirements.‘he performed a political balancing act, making gestures towards the left as well as the right’
- ‘The role is a balancing act between different interests and the manager will sometimes have to take a longer view than traders.’
- ‘These are not linear processes and there are few cleverer balancing acts than pursuit of an editorial strategy.’
- ‘Here is a perfect example of the delicate balancing act that is required when making decisions on use of the green belt.’
- ‘Cattarin performs a delicate balancing act that allows each of the ingredients to speak.’
- ‘It is surprising how much of a delicate balancing act creating a business plan really is.’
- ‘The balancing act required is a delicate dance between playing the waiting game and taking action.’
- ‘So it is a delicate balancing act that the newspaper publisher must play.’
- ‘Your relationship with your team should be a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘I don't see this as a conflict so much as a balancing act between two paradigms.’
- ‘The present situation demands a delicate balancing act from Martin, too.’
- ‘For instance, managers often perform a delicate balancing act when seeking support for a venture.’
- ‘He has been trained in Belgium and has mastered the virtuoso balancing act his employment requires.’
- ‘He says the change is designed to be a delicate balancing act between the rights of employers and employees.’
- ‘The achievement has been remarkable, and involved a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘The achievement of rapport between interviewer and respondent is therefore a delicate balancing act.’
- ‘It's a balancing act that requires continuous adjustments, but the point is that it can be done.’
- ‘This is a delicate balancing act between the need to support police and the need to prevent abuses of power.’
- ‘It all makes for a unique and delicate balancing act, they all admit, but it works.’
- ‘They do so through delicate balancing acts of simultaneously embracing and rejecting both femininity and hegemonic masculinity.’
- ‘Painful compromises are necessary from both sides and a delicate balancing act is needed to break years of mistrust.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.