Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tab on a control surface of an aircraft which reduces the amount of force needed to move the control surface by moving in the opposite direction.
- ‘The primary flight controls are mechanically operated surfaces with integral balance tabs.’
- ‘The V-tail is all moving with anti balance tabs to provide both trimming and feel.’
- ‘When weight is added in each repair, the aircraft's balance may be so disturbed that trim and balance tabs may have to be adjusted.’
- ‘Aerodynamic balance tabs and balance panels assist in the operation of the ailerons.’
- ‘After a safe landing, it was found that both elevator spring balance tabs had started to flutter and had torn away.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.