One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The difference in total value between payments into and out of a country over a period.as modifier ‘a balance-of-payments deficit’
- ‘One is the position of the Commonwealth budget and the other is the balance of payments current account deficit.’
- ‘Trading arrangements had been disrupted with serious consequences to the balance of payments.’
- ‘Further, growth in total exports will outweigh growth in total imports leading to an improvement in the balance of payments.’
- ‘The Fund was there to provide bridge financing whilst the country concerned got its balance of payments in order.’
- ‘One thing that's very important now for Brazil is to improve its balance of payments.’
- ‘The idea of calculating the so-called national balance of payments in a free market economy will be absurd.’
- ‘The balance of payments only records the value of given goods bought and sold by an individual or a group of individuals.’
- ‘It's also worried about balance of payments deficits, particularly in the United States.’
- ‘This in turn will give rise to a better balance of payments and in turn to stronger economic growth.’
- ‘The result was a deficit in the so-called balance of payments, which was paid for by foreigners cashing in those dollars for gold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.