One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A light truck or pickup truck.
lorry, articulated lorry, heavy goods vehicle, juggernautView synonyms
- ‘They were especially successful in sales of bakkies (pick-ups).’
- ‘There are many factors that give us a high pedestrian death toll as there are for those killed when travelling in cars, bakkies, taxis, buses and on the backs of open trucks.’
- ‘Timm attempted to block the gateway with his bakkie as the police car transporting the accused tried to leave through the court gate.’
- ‘Sales of new light commercial vehicles, bakkies and minibuses had also maintained strong upward momentum.’
- ‘Three people died and six others were injured when a bakkie and a truck collided outside Stutterheim yesterday afternoon.’
2A small basin or other container.
- ‘Back at camp we enjoyed lovely showers (OK, the manual pick-up-a-bakkie-of-water-out-the-drum-and-throw-it over-your-head shower).’
Afrikaans, from bak ‘container’ + the diminutive suffix -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.